How To Turn Off Laptop Fan: Easy Ways To Stop It
I’m sure you’ve heard people say that you should never turn off a laptop fan because it protects the central processing unit (CPU) from overheating.
As long as you don’t experience noise or excessive heat, fan speed is part of your laptop’s performance.
However, if no program or software is running on your computer at all and you still notice the fan spinning, it’s time to check your system settings. So in this article, our tech experts go step by step and show you what causes the laptop fan to run constantly and what you can do to stop it!
How to turn off the laptop fan
Before we start with the methods to turn off the laptop fan, please note that we do not recommend disabling or completely removing computer fans. Since the fan is essential to the health of your device, we’ll help you learn these four ways to stop the laptop fan when needed:
Clean your laptop
One of the main reasons that can cause a laptop to overheat and keep the fan running Click on the “Power and sleep settings” option that appears.
as a result, is dust. So whenever you are trying to stop a laptop fan from running constantly, the first thing you should do is to quickly check that it is clean enough.
If you use your laptop frequently, you should clean it regularly to make sure it doesn’t collect dust that could cause problems.
Dust can cause more than just overheating problems, so it’s better to be safe than sorry!
Do not worry! Keep reading as we have more methods for you to turn off the CPU fan.
Turn off the laptop fan in the system settings
To explain this method, you should know that we are doing all the steps on Windows 10.
When it comes to keeping the fan from running all the time, it is essential to set a suitable power plan for your laptop based on your usage.
In addition, you can turn off the laptop fan in Windows 10 by changing the power settings. To do this, press the Windows key on your keyboard and type “Power Settings”. You will see the “Power and sleep settings” option, click on it. A new window will open where you can manage power plans for your laptop.
The following procedure:
1. Click “More power settings” in the “Power and sleep settings” window.
2. A new window titled “Select or adjust power plan” will appear. Click on ‘Change Plan Settings to go to the next screen.
3. Here click on ‘Change advanced power settings.’ Here you will make the primary change that will stop the laptop fan from running constantly.
4. Expand the ‘CPU Power Management’ option and find ‘System Cooling Policy.’ Click on it to expand it as well.
5. If you change the options below it from “Active” to “Passive”, your fan will not run continuously.
6. Once the setting is changed, the laptop fan will now run intermittently instead of continuously. Keep in mind that instead of turning on the fan, this process will slow down your laptop’s CPU, causing slow performance in some cases.
So if you are not tech savvy and don’t use your computer to do “harder” tasks, we recommend choosing the “Balanced” option.
Turn off the laptop fan from the BIOS
The BIOS on your laptop is a low-level operating system that allows the computer to run under the installed operating system. Additionally, you can disable the laptop fans from the BIOS in two different ways: through the restart screen and the Windows screen.
Here’s how to deal with each of them:
From the restart screen
1. Turn on the laptop.
2. On the reboot screen, press the BIOS key depending on the brand and model of your laptop. The most common keys to access the BIOS after rebooting are F1, F2, F10, and ESC.
3. In the BIOS, go to the “Advanced” tab.
4. Set the fans to “Disabled” in the “Smart Fan Configuration” menu.
5. Save the configuration and restart the computer.
From the Windows screen
1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and go to “Settings” by clicking on the gear icon.
2. Select Windows Update & Security.
3. Then select Restore.
4. In the “Advanced Startup” section, press the “Restart Now” button.
5. Select “Troubleshoot” from the drop-down menu.
6. Click on “Advanced Settings”.
7. Finally reboot after selecting UEFI firmware settings.
8. Then go to the “Advanced” tab in the BIOS.
9. Set the fans to “Disabled” in the “Smart Fan Configuration” menu.
10. Save the configuration and then restart the computer.
Check CPU usage
Finally, you can also check the CPU usage if you want to control or turn off the laptop fan. It is essential for users to know which programs and tasks use the processor the most. In this way, you can not only end unnecessary and irrelevant tasks but also prevent the laptop fans from running constantly.
For this method, you will need to enter the Task Manager, which can be done in two ways:
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard and then click Task Manager
Select Task Manager from the Start menu or taskbar by right-clicking.
In the CPU column of Task Manager, you can see the current CPU load at a glance. Here you can see which programs or tasks are consuming the most CPU power.
It is also important to remove/uninstall any unnecessary programs or software that you have not used in the last 30 days or more. Sometimes we inadvertently install applications that we no longer need but continue to consume resources. That’s why it’s quite important to do such checks once in a while to find out which apps are taking up the most resources and which ones you don’t use often or at all…
Also, unless your laptop is a high-end model, it is better to avoid multitasking. If not, start one program at a time and limit the number of tabs in the desired browser.
We’ve covered the reasons why a laptop fan runs continuously and ways to turn it off that can alleviate the potential strain it can have. Despite the fact that some of these fixes are difficult and will take some time, you should try them until your problem is resolved.
Next, here are the ways we suggested for you to turn off the laptop fan in our article:
1. First, make sure to clean the laptop regularly so that the laptop fan can turn off, and most importantly, avoid dust and dirt from settling inside and outside.
2. The other two ways we suggest is to turn off the laptop fan via system settings or BIOS.
3. The last method we suggest is to check your CPU usage and remove apps that you haven’t used in the last month or even longer.
4. Finally, in case you notice a loud noise from the laptop fan, get it checked by a professional immediately.
Should I remove my laptop fan?
As we mentioned at the beginning, no, you should not remove your laptop’s fan. Since computers are built from the ground up with a fan, removing this essential component would greatly reduce the lifespan of the computer and its internal components. So if you want your system to run efficiently for long periods of time, you’ll need a fan that will also help eliminate the heat generated by the CPU, motherboard, and graphics card.
Is it bad if the laptop fan is noisy and loud?
Yes, a loud noise from your fan is often a bad sign that should be addressed immediately. In addition, there are several reasons to have a loud and noisy fan, such as when they are loose, too small, or underpowered. In any case, find out why this is happening as soon as possible and deal with it accordingly.
How can I manually turn off the laptop fan?
It is simple and easy to turn off the laptop fan manually, so you can do it as follows:
Boot or restart your laptop and press the BIOS key depending on your laptop model.
Go to the “Fan Settings” area.
Select the “Smart Fan” option.
Reboot after saving the configuration.